Tuesday, March 5, 2019


TWO DISPARATE MILLS (DAMS)

I pass this old dam nearly every day. It's located in a stand of woods in Preston, Connecticut on Highway 165, and I knew I wanted to include it with these old mills. Unfortunately we had fifteen inches of snow the day I went to take its picture, and the accompanying cloud cover made it even harder to photograph. There are several odd depressions nearby, all looking suspiciously like cellar holes. I haven't gotten close to it, but I will. Eventually.



From the road


With a little bit of zoom. The rocks are very large, and the stream now flows beneath the wall.





This is located in Uncasville, Connecticut on Highway 32. It is massive, extremely well built, and must have served a large complex of buildings once. But no building exists. Weird for as large a dam as this is. Large mills like the one this dam likely served are seldom torn down, but reused as apartments or retail spaces. Mought be there WAS no mill there, but the pond it holds back is still there, as are the roads and additional infrastructure that served it. If I get more info, I'll pass it along. I'm sure you'll lose sleep until I do.

With the highway below the dam.

2 comments:

  1. That rock dam in the snowy woods - so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa, it's good to hear from you. I apologize for my absence; check out Standish Farm and you'll see why. I'll be posting regularly again. My last job took me forty two miles each way to and from work, all through the woods. I saw many of these tiny dam walls, especially in the winter when the leaves are down, but especially especially after a snow. The white stuff highlights the past nicely.

    ReplyDelete