Friday, November 10, 2017

A NEW BEGINNING FOR "VESTIGES"
 
Not that anyone's reading this thing anymore, but the one or two of you that do have noticed a definite hiatus from posts. Well, I've been busy establishing myself in the business of historic restoration in southeast Connecticut, and I've gone through some changes. I'll bet you have, too.
 
So the Vestiges from Arkansas and South Carolina are done for the time being. I'm going to concentrate on this neck of the woods for a while.
For those of you who are not familiar with southeastern Connecticut, forget what you might know about this state. This is not the busy industrial corridor between Springfield, Mass and New York City. I'm not talking Hartford, New Haven, Stamford and Bridgeport here.
 
I'm talking Stonington Borough, New London, and Norwich. Willimantic and Voluntown. And dipping into Rhode Island, twelve miles from my house, Westerly, Exeter, and Ashaway.
 
This part of CT is rife with farms, farm stands, and mom and pop stores. Woods and ponds, rocky seashores, and great seafood restaurants overlooking quiet harbors can be found without trying. Things are wilder, quieter, and more friendly than in other parts of the state.
 
So I'll be plying these quiet waters for a while, presenting things that represent who we were, who we are, and what we are becoming. Come on along.

3 comments:

  1. Good to see this coming back. This was how I first saw your work, several years ago while I was searching for photos of old farm houses in SC. I like looking at old houses, not abandoned wrecks nor perfected house-beautifuls, but lived-in homes. So your photos from the Standish Farm are fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'anks, Lisa. I'm just getting back to work on The Farm after some time off. Better things coming!

      Delete