Friday, June 28, 2013


HANDMADE ATRIUM WINDOW

 BUSHNELL FARM

OLD SAYBROOK, CONNECTICUT

 
This little ‘bay’ window is more of an atrium than a bay (an atrium window is a bay, but a bay is not necessarily an atrium, so don’t pay any attention to that opening sentence), and it is certainly not original to the house, which dates from 1678. I’m sure the builders grew a lot of things, but plants inside were unlikely included in their cultivars.

Though it’s not original, it is a fine piece of craftsmanship. Just making the curved horizontal muntins seems a formidable task. I like the support brackets cut to fit the clapboards and the copper roof with a copper drip cap. It was built to last. The proprietor of the Farm said it was installed in the mid-1950s, so I doubt it’s a manufactured feature. Probably built by someone local. Yes, there used to be local craftsmen in your neighborhood. I’m about the only one left, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment